Monday, June 21, 2010

Lifting weights...

So recently I have been training my butt off... literally.  Finally living in Curacao has afforded me the time I needed to finally get my physical health in order... and that takes more time than the average American work schedule allows.  The Caribbean life style however, no problem making time to work out.  I have a trainer that works me pretty well every day for 2 hours... fantastic..... I spent my 20's working.. that's it.  Now, being 33, it's time I got in shape for myself physically of course but emotionally as well.

And of course now I'm hooked... I own a heart monitor, several pairs of exercise shoes, and read women's health magazines constantly.  It's official... I'm transformed... and really appreciate good health. I found myself standing outside the grocery store the other day, holding a 40 lb. bag of dog food, and having a 20 minutes chat... no problem.  Physical health makes being in the world easier... you recover from trips on the sidewalk and bumps into your desk much easier... and less often...

And while I've always been on a mental health crusade of becoming a more emotionally balanced person... I am learning yet another level of this that is attached to your physical health.  And it makes sense, that your body would be a physical manifestation of your emotional state.

Along the natural course of things... organically I am reminded of some "emotional" weight that needs lifting as well... there's a reason they call it "weight lifted off your shoulders..."

To do so, I think of all my efforts that assist in the process of relieving emotional weight... meditation, yoga, exercise, journaling, being outside, or even something as simple as practicing taking my time and not rushing.  There are of course all the educational forums of self improvements, such as seminars, books, workshops.  Four words... "Been There, Done That."  And I circle back to all of that education often.  One thing that came to mind recently was something I learned from one of those many books and seminars etc... is that clutter is bad...  Any Kind.  One book suggests making a list of all those things that bug you in your personal space... because it actually takes away from your positive attitude and distracts you from that which you dream of...

I made that list once.... it had things on it like the broken light switch cover, the stack of bills, the chipped paint in the living room... and I took one whole weekend... and fixed it ALL.  It was an amazing feeling... Now when I looked around I felt good... not annoyed.  This helped manifest a lot of wonderful things in my life at the time.

Fast forward to today, there isn't near much as clutter as then, however, there are things that still distract. But at the level I am now, that clutter is not as obvious to identify... they're cleverly hidden.

Well today, I stayed home from work sick (knackered from an allergy attack which is always a symptom of lack of rest... which equals clutter in my brain)... and got a list going... lots of work stuff, stack of paperwork, personal relationship connections needed updating... things that had WEIGHED me down... things I thought of occasionally, that brought me down, that I wasn't proud of... that made me feel bad because I had NOT dealt with them.

Well that's all changed... I dealt with all but one... and I feel great... momentum for that last one... and movement forward.  I'm free to just progress... and not worry about the past.   So... ultimately, I lifted some weights today... without even going to the gym... and it affords me the freedom to just enjoy the future, and possibilities...

Now of course there are few stones left unturned.  However, when you write out that list, it manages to make those things seem so insignificant... and easy to resolve... and with the momentum I have from today... easy peasy parcheesi!!

So... lesson today... make your list.... and LIFT SOME WEIGHTS!  It's a choice.  Make it... be free... move forward!

HAPPY TRAILS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment